Two new student governors are needed from 1st September 2014 until 31st July 2015.
Students who are attending the College on a full time or a part time basis during the 2014/15 academic year and fall within the following categories:
• one student who is aged 16-19
• one student who is aged over 19
can be nominated.
Role of Student Governor
Student governors are highly valued members of the College governing body and will:
• provide the governing body with a first-hand insight into the experience of being a student at the College
• be equal with other governors and play a full part in the governing of the College
• with the other governors:
- agree the College’s mission, values and the type of education it provides
- ensure that the best quality teaching is provided and that students have an excellent learning experience
The Benefits of Being a Student Governor
Being a student governor has the following benefits, you will:
• be able to contribute to important decisions affecting students and staff at the College and to make a difference
• have the chance to get to understand how the College really works
• be able to work with the Principal, senior managers and governors
• be given the opportunity to improve your skills and confidence
• be able to add valuable experience and skills to your CV
• have a great time!
You would be expected to give the following commitment and attend:
• the majority of governing body meetings which take place on a Thursday evening from 6-9pm every month
• two residential conferences
• Student Parliament meetings
• some College events such as Awards Evenings
Support for student governors includes as a minimum:
• an induction and other relevant training
• support to enable you to prepare for and understand meetings
Key individuals in the College who will support you are:
• the Clerk to the Corporation
• previous student governors
• Student Experience Team staff.
Elections for student governors are coming soon.
Watch out for information on Moodle and Facebook and displays in refectories and student centres in all College campuses.
For further information, please speak to a member of the Student Experience Team.